WHY DIVE IN OCEANIA?
Oceania is vast and counts a fascinating diversity of dive sites. Oceania encompasses the islands of the tropical Pacific Ocean. If you love sharks this the place to be! Besides 30 types of whales and dolphins are listed living in the Great Barrier reef!
WHAT ARE THE BEST COUNTRIES IN OCEANIA TO VISIT FOR DIVING?
Destinations plongée en Océanie
Drift dives and Soft Coral paradise with hammerheads, manta rays and turtles — all in the Fiji tropical paradise. Fijis has an easy access with an international airport on Vita Levu. From there you just pick the islands you want to discover!
- Wakaya: there a wall starts at 20 feet is home to elusive frogfish hiding under corals and flamboyantly colored nudibranchs flaunting themselves on the reef top.
- Big pelagics can be seen around like blacktip reef sharks and stingrays.
Photography by Philippe L'Homel: Green Turtle
DIVE BORA BORA
Bora Bora is the Pacific's Shark capital and the worldwide most beautiful place known for its lagoons! That's the place to dive with these creatures.
Plenty of different species of sharks can be found there: lemon sharks, grey reef sharks, black tip and white tip sharks. Other species like mantas, turtles, dolphins, whales, rainbow jack fish, morey eels, giant wrasses and much more are swimming around Bora Bora paradise.
Photography by Philippe L'Homel: Manta Ray
Photography by Alan Duncan: Whale Shark
With its 900 islands, the Great Barrier Reef is a must dive location. Good for all levels of divers: you can chose to dive shallow reefs for beginners or/and drop off and walls for more advanced divers. The Great Barrier Reef is perfect for a plethora of different types of diving including wreck diving and shore diving.
- Coral Sea, Cod Hole & Ribbon Reefs are the most famous dive sites where you encounter the Great White Sharks.
- Byron Bay, on Australia's north coast is well known by divers for its biodiversity of temperate and tropical species / Giant rays can be seen there.
- Ningaloo Reef is a really beautiful place with its untouched fringing reef. Ideal for snorkelers as its a shallow reef. Plus whale sharks are often around.
DIVE NEW ZEALAND
There are plenty of dive sites that you can experience preferably during summer time otherwise the water will be a bit chilly (although with proper dive equipment you will be fine). Wreck diving is amazing there and plenty of corals surrounding you everywhere during your dives.
Water is very clear which makes for great diving. Besides, hundreds of small offshore islands got an easy access and offer great dive sites.
Photography by Paco Iglesias: Sharks